So it's been a while, and now I'm 29.
There's a couple of things I've learnt in the time between posts, that probably won't interest any of you but here goes anyway.
Number 1: My hands are getting old. Once when I looked at my hands, they looked smooth and fresh and young and this week, whilst studying them at length (I was obviously tremendously busy, or just easily distracted), they are quite rough, almost scaly when my eye is a centimetre away from them (this looks as insane as it sounds) and a little bit stretched. I don't know what this means but it was a definite moment for me, sorting of like finding a grey hair maybe, or cycling through your children's names until you find the right one - my hands were starting to look a lot older than young. Now that might not make me old, it just makes me feel like a bit like it. It was interesting if nothing else.
Number 2: When you're at your worst, and most stressful moments you can never see the way out, but then you don't really notice when you get out, and when you do, then you just wonder what the big problem was in the first place. I had this feeling last week at seeing the way my family worked together, and the nice, steady, machine-like flow that we have going. I think we even blink in unison - thwk - I love that sound.
Number 3: There are so many more important things in life than work, so many more important things that could be gained and could benefit the world - depending on your job of course; and too many times they are not taken advantage of. If nothing else, having kids has given me the understanding that just making a living, just plodding along, waiting for the weekend, dreading the Monday, for me at least, is not enough. If I get to eighty and say, well I managed life enough, I did everything appropriately, I think I will feel my life is a waste. There needs to be something else, something greater, something that has some lasting impact, even if it's only for a moment after it is done. Something must change - something big I think. I just don't know what yet.
For an insight into people who have inspired my in the last month, check out http://www.smilingforsmiddy.org.au/ and see what I mean. After spending a week with them and seeing what they went through, I have a new understanding of what I want for myself.
Just a couple of things I have reflected on in my time away.....
Posted by
Brendan Bowen
on Monday, September 20, 2010

0 comments:
Post a Comment